Is Honesty the Best Policy?
Have you ever been fearful of speaking the truth? Come on now, the truth is supposed to make us feel good, right? Then what about . . .
- the Christian teen upon discovering she is pregnant is sent away to a boarding home
- the 40 year old married man who comes out with his gay lifestyle is ostracized from his children
- the pastor confessing to her congregation that she has used church funds to boost her music success is fired
- the workaholic woman who receives Jesus and re-prioritizes her life is now in divorce court
- the child drinking from dad’s liquor cabinet asks for help and is placed in foster care How can honesty be a good thing if bad things result from it
7 Things Happen to You When You Are Completely Honest by James Altucker was posted by The Huffington Post. The seven things along with my personal response include:
- “People will stop speaking to you” – √ That’s a check for me.
- “People will think you are going to hurt yourself” – If they thought it no one ever tried to save me.
- “People will think you are crazy” – √ Why would anyone ever name a church “Sin City Church?”
- “People will get frightened” – Of me? It is sometimes interesting how fear masquerades itself in more lies.
- “People will find you entertaining” – √ Especially true when I make a fool of myself being completely authentic.
- “People will trust your advice” – Yikes!
- “You will become free” – √
We can read many things on the internet and in books about honesty and how it truly does help us; but, the bottom line is if we are living for Jesus, what does His Truth teach us about living or speaking lies? One place we can discover the answer is in Proverbs 6:16-19.
“These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
- A proud look,
- A lying tongue,
- Hands that shed innocent blood,
- A heart that devises wicked plans,
- Feet that are swift in running to evil,
- A false witness who speaks lies,
- And one who sows discord among brethren.”
Among the seven, there are at least two things in reference to lies that God hates (a lying tongue and a false witness).
God loves us so much he gave us the best policy – His Truth!